Sunday 15 February 2015

Viva Las Vegas




Well I am at the end of my third week of DTS, it's honestly crazy how time flies. First off, I would like to apologize for my lack of blog posts. We are usually quite busy around here, and any downtime we have is usually spent relaxing, and enjoying the fact that we are in sunny Las Vegas. God is doing amazing things in Las Vegas through our base, but He is also doing amazing things in me and I can't wait to see where He takes me next. Every time I think about posting on this blog I debate about what to say because I don't simply want to list what I am doing here I want to be real and open and allow you guys to really understand how awesome our God is. Last week our topic was "the father heart of God". Going into that week all of our leaders said you know it's going to be really intense, and it's going to really challenge you, but who knew they were actually right! God can and will do amazing things when you just say "yes" to Him. I feel like a lot of Christians (including myself) forget that being a follower of Christ is a daily uphill battle of saying "yes". You can't just say "Jesus you are my Saviour" one time and that be it, you need to say "yes" to what He has for you every single day. That being said God has given me opportunity after opportunity here to step outside of my comfort zone and say "yes". One being an outreach we did called Viva La Worship. Basically what we did was busked on the Las Vegas Strip singing worship songs and praying for people who came by us. It was such a humbling opportunity to shamelessly worship Jesus, and get to play music in a context that was so foreign to me. Overall it was such an amazing experience and another really cool thing I can say that I have done. Another outreach that we did just this past weekend was hand out flowers to women on the street for valentines day. To put into context why this is so impactful, the area I am living in is not really the most put together area of Las Vegas. There are a lot of people around us who are not as fortunate as we are, and a lot of women who need to prostitue their bodies in order to make ends meet. The fact that we had the opportunity to just go out and love on some women who may never get that kind of love is incredibly humbling. Small acts done with great kindness have the opportunity to change this world and this was just a really amazing example of how that principle can be put into play. All in all I feel as though there is a lot of crazy change going on in our neighbourhood, our base, and in everyone's hearts who live at this base. I know a lot of people questioned the fact that I chose Las Vegas as the place to do my DTS, but I know that this is where God has called me to be and the cities that are the most broken need people who care and are compassionate that much more. So that's why I am here, I am here in Las Vegas because this city needs love, and this city needs redemption. Amazing things are going to happen in Las Vegas and I want to be apart of that. So until next time everyone, Viva Las Vegas! 


No comments:

Post a Comment